Ear Piercing Infection In Babies: Prevention And Treatments To Consider
Baby ear piercings are more common than you think. In many cultures around the world, it is considered more of a custom than it is vanity. In fact, families that have a history of keloids are often advised to have their children’s ears pierced as early as possible to avoid complications later in life.
As precious as your bundle of joy may look with these adorable little studs or drops in their lobes, the risk of an ear-piercing infection often accompanies the parental glee.
The good news is, infections associated with ear piercings are often minor and don’t usually cause any serious damage. Understanding the symptoms and remedying at the earliest with established best practices however, can make things very easy and comfortable for you and your baby.
Is your baby ear piercing infected?
Here are the most common symptoms that you must watch out for…
- Redness and Swelling
- Redness and swelling that has spread to other parts of the ear / face
- Constant Itching
- Puss formation and discharge from the pierced area
- Fever (over 100 degree Centigrade)
- General discomfort evident from body language of your child
Is your baby affected with one or more of these baby ear piercing infection symptoms? Here’s what you do…
- Do Not remove the earring from its place
- Sterile saline can be used to clean the area at least twice a day
- Warm compress can be applied to remedy swelling and puss
- Do Not use harsh alcohol rubs and similar skin irritants on a baby’s delicate skin
- Never expose your baby to medications like antibiotics etc. without doctor’s consent
- Make sure the area remains clean and your baby does not fiddle with her / his ear
At all times, Baby Ear Piercing Infection Treatment is best left to doctors / pediatricians. If you see no improvement in your baby within two or three days of home care, reach out to your doctor.
Prevention of Baby Ear Piercing Infection
As our wise ancestors have said, prevention is always better than cure and this is perhaps the best thing to do when it comes to your precious little one’s well being. Parents that follow preventive practices experience a 100% hassle free baby ear piercing experience.
Do you wish to keep a baby ear piercing infection at bay? Here’s what you need to do…
- Always approach well known, certified, child-friendly piercing facilities that use 100% safe and guaranteed sterile procedures.
- Seek recommendation for appropriate facilities from your pediatrician.
- It is always best to wait for 3 months before getting your baby’s ears pierced.
- Always choose certified hypoallergenic baby-friendly metals like Silver, 18K -24K Gold and Titanium.
- Choose a compatible shape and size of the earring so that your baby’s ear does not get weighed down and he / she does not fiddle with the new ear piece.
- Do not remove the earrings before at least 6 weeks or as recommended by the piercing expert.
- Following the aftercare procedures like rotating the earring at least twice a day, cleaning the area with saline water, application of recommended ointments etc. meticulously, is very important.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.